Tourism on the Riviera Nayarita offers a wide variety of activities for a fun, relaxing holiday. One of the main attractions is whale watching in Puerto Vallarta, where tourists have the opportunity to observe the species from up close.
If you enjoy ecotourism, this area is ideal for getting in touch with nature. You can also get up close to other species, from swimming with dolphins to watching sea turtles. And at the same time, surfing and sunny beach days will complement your times of rest. If you are interested in whale watching, here is everything you need to know.
Puerto Vallarta whale watching
Humpback whales are the most common whale species in the Bay of Banderas. These incredible animals weigh up to 36,000 kilos and can travel approximately 25,000 km in search of warmer water. You can also see whole families as they mate and give birth at this time of the year. Every year, around 2,000 specimens reach the coasts.
Even though you can make them out from the shore, there is nothing like enjoying a guided tour to see them from up close. During these outings, an expert will accompany you and will give you information about their natural habitat and their daily activity.
Whale season in Puerto Vallarta
If you are interested in seeing whales in Puerto Vallarta, you first need to know which months they are more likely to come to the area. You can then start to plan your transport, accommodation and bookings well in advance.
Winter is the time when these mammals come to the coast. Between December and March, you are more likely to find more tours available for watching them. Sometimes the dates may change a little, starting in November and ending in April.
Whale tour in Puerto Vallarta
There are several companies that offer touring services during whale season in Puerto Vallarta. Below are some recommendations to ensure you have a good travel experience:
- All companies must have permits and adhere to regulations from Semarnat (Mexico’s Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources).
- For tourists from abroad, you can check whether they have bilingual biologists and professionals.
- One big advantage is choosing an option with different tours so that you can purchase several activities with the same company.
- Check the additional services that each company offers, for example, ease of booking online.
- Once the excursion is booked, take note of the time it leaves so that you can manage your time and plan your departure in advance.
- Take sun cream and a swimsuit with you so that you can do your activities in comfort.
- If you need any additional gear, ask whether the package includes that or whether you need to hire it separately.
Excursion costs and travel options
Below are two of the best options on the market, and you can ask about the services they offer during your time in Puerto Vallarta:
- Vallarta Adventures. Their whale watching packages range from $1300.00 to $2300.00, depending on the duration and number of people on board. This company offers an option for private tours and excursions to other tourist attractions. You can take advantage of the 3 for 2 deals or interest-free months when booking.
- Ecotours Vallarta. It has certified biologists who do the excursions. Whale season tours in Puerto Vallarta vary from $600 to $900. The price depends on the type of excursion, extra activities and means of transport. This company actively participates in species conservation associations and campaigns.
In general, all these excursions leave from the Puerto Vallarta marine terminal, also known as Puerto Mágico.
Other excursions and activities
The Bay of Banderas area is home to endless destinations that you can enjoy during your stay. Some options that we recommend considering are the following:
- Enjoy a beach day visiting Las Caletas, Puerto Vallarta, where you can do kayaking, snorkeling or paddle boarding.
- If extreme excursions are your thing, you can do a quad bike tour around the Sierra Madre and discover Sayulita.
- For those who enjoy finding out about culture and tradition, there are tours in which you can discover various nearby villages. They usually provide information about the local cuisine and offer cooking classes.
- Here, you can also find other species, such as dolphins. You can enjoy a tour to swim with them and see them up close in their natural habitat.
If you want to enjoy whale watching in Puerto Vallarta, don’t forget to book the best accommodation that Del Mar Boutique has for you. We have condos on the Riviera Nayarit and different options with apartments in the Bay of Banderas, so that you only need to concern yourself with enjoying your time in this idyllic destination.